Followers

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Incredible Opportunities, and Hard Decisions to Make

I am faced with some incredible new moments in my life. I have a great opportunity to go to Japan for a semester for only 7,000 american dollars, and I am extremely excited, however, I am so nervous, and I know my fiancee is also very worried. I have wanted to do this for over 12 years of my life now, and I know this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. It is a 15 credit hour intensive language program for Japanese, and I have never wanted to do something so much. I know it will work out, but Prayers and good vibes are requested. I appreciate all the support from the (two) people who read my blog.
Also, on a slightly less exciting note, I am a beta tester for a mobile game! I was one of 10,000 people out of about a million selected to test the new Raid function of Brave Frontier. It is exciting, but simple. So that is neat.
But I am facing a new decision. I think I want to be an English teacher. I want to change my major, and I know why... After all this time, I have been trying to do something I thought was fun, as a hobby, and turn it into a profession. I enjoy making and playing music, but I do not like learning about it, or learning the basics of music theory. I hated it. Audio Studies was driving me crazy. However, after much thinking, the only thing I have ever done well in consistently, because it never bored me, it never made me feel annoyed, was English. I love. I have always kind of wanted to be an English teacher, especially because some of the most influential people in my life have been English teachers who took the time to get to know, and love me, and help me better myself. A certain Moum of mine has been so caring, and so helpful to me, I honestly feel that without her, I may not be quite the same person I am. I had a lot of anger as a highschooler, that I hid, and that I let control me sometimes. Moum, without ever knowing it, and without ever meaning to, she provided a motherly figure like I had never had before. She was always willing to talk to me, and even when I know I was annoying and frustrating, she was always patient with me, and I loved her for that. She made me want to be a better person, and as I felt more and more like she was my honorary family, I also became good friends with her Little One, who quickly became my little sister in everything but blood. That family made me who I am today, in some small way, and I want to be the kind of English teacher she is. I realise my fiancee may read this and think I am not giving her any credit, but I tell her every day how she changed me for the better. :)
Moum, however, I do not believe I have ever thanked properly, so whether or not she ever reads this, I want to give my thanks here, in a way I could never voice. Thank you Moum. Thank you for tolerating my loud mouth, arrogant childhood, and immature outbursts. I realize now that no matter how frustrating I may have been, she always made me understand the better side of things. I got answers from her about life situations that I would never have gotten answers from other family members. She gave me the confidence to strike out, and get back up when I failed. And she never once made me feel like I was inferior. She always spoke to me as an adult, and helped me understand when I was being a child. I made a lot of mistakes, and I know that I have disappointed her before, but even then, she never lost faith in me, and that helped me keep faith in myself. If you ever read this Moum, I love you. I am so thankful for your influence, and I am glad to have known you.
As for what I want to do as an English teacher, I think I would very much like to teach English in Japan, because that sounds like a great venture. It is something to think very hard about, and I am going to be doing a lot of thinking for a while. Until I have a solution, I will remain my chipper self. Ace out!

3 comments:

  1. I think that you would make a marvelous English teacher in Japan. A few friends of mine have taught conversational English in Asian countries and loved it. Only one of them had a degree in English, in fact, although all of them were excellent and accurate English speakers, grammatically speaking.

    Thank you, sir, for your very sweet blog entry. I find that with most students, if I treat them like adults (except maybe a little goofier, which is just fun for everyone), talk with them like they're capable of making their own decisions, they tend to make better ones than if I lectured (which, let's face it, just makes all of us want to do the opposite of whatever the lecturer is telling us to do). Remember that with your own kids some day, and your own students. You can go far, and you can give them a step up in going far, themselves.


    And, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ace... I do believe you will make an amazing English teacher in Japan. And I am sure, no matter how nervous your fiancée might be, she will always support you in whatever you do. Whatever trials you might face, and whatever uncertainties there might be, she will always be there to back you up. You've got an amazing Moum to listen to you, and awesome friends to keep your head up. We all love you, and no matter what, will always have your back and support you in these decisions. Whether it is to live in Japan for a couple years, or just visit, Ichigo supports you. Promise.
    Much love,
    RR

    ReplyDelete