Followers

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Ankles and Accidents.

Recently I began longboarding on campus. Longboarding is very fun, and my board is big and sturdy. I am becoming a fine longboarder, and I have yet to hurt myself on a longboard. Skateboards, however, are very different, and I have a fun story to tell about how different they can be.
Death has recently befriended a girl who is going to be skating with us as soon as her mail-order longboard comes in. She is a pretty nice girl, even if she has been stealing my bro from me on almost a daily basis. She wanted to skate with us the other night, but we only had a spare skateboard. I was kind enough to let her use my longboard because I know my board was safer and easier to use for a first timer. I took off on the skateboard pretty well, and started pretty well. But two factors hurt me that night. My longboard is.. well, long. And on a skateboard it is a far shorter deck. So after a few pushes, I missed my step, and rolled my ankle once, at a moderate speed, which hurt a little. After a new try, I got going again, and was doing pretty well for about twenty minutes. I started to get confident, and starting going a lot quicker. Here was the second factor: at higher speeds, the smaller wheels of a skateboard can get moving a lot faster, and boards can shoot from underneath you. I missed my step again, at a higher speed, lost the board, sprained my ankle, and landed heavily on my left kneecap. I bruised it badly, and kept trying to skate that night, which didn't help. So I had to go to the hospital the next day. Badly sprained ankle, and a bruised kneecap. But I am fine now, and I have a neat brace, and crutches. Wish for my quick recovery. Ace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment