Followers

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Zombie Attack

So, some pretty interesting things are going on around me. I am working my school's  haunted house, and I get to be Dr. Salvadore. For those of you who are not familiar with this terrifying infected, I will reference you to the Resident Evil 4 game. He is a chainsaw-weilding infected from the villiage of farmers who have had their brains taken over by a parasite called Las Plagas. I have sewn together a few peices of burlap to make a bloody hat-sack. The haunted house will be absolutely terrifying inside, and to top it off, as the people step outside, just when they think they are safe, I will rev up my chainsaw, and pop out from behind a corner, chasing after the poor saps.

Enough of the advertisements for my haunted house. I have a funny story to tell you. I was writing for college English; I had just read part of Beowulf. I have recently made friends with a foreign exchange student from Venuswela, and I was trying to explain to him some of the concepts behind the story. Fleur, my honorary little sister was with me. I was trying to explain how the story of Beowulf and the many adventures he had is an archetype of almost every heroic story that exists. He did not quite understand the word archetype, so I explained how it means it is the original basis for a genre of story afterwards. So to make an example, I compared it to Star Wars. The funny thing is, there are a million, very accurate comparisons. The monster Grendel is quite similar to the enemy Darth Maul. The heroes beat them fairly easily, with the loss of a few people. In the case of Star Wars, we witness the sorry death of Qui-Gon-Jin. Then we have Grendel's mother. She is close to Darth Vader. She is a much harder monster who is far harder to beat. Quite similar wouldn't you say? Finally, the Emperor... The dragon in the epic story of Beowulf is almost the same. They are both very hard to beat, and they take the life of an important character, that you have come to care about. The dragon takes Beowulf's life, the Emperor, Darth Vader. I am a huge fan of both stories, so to me, this was both amusing, and a big surprise. I guess if we all take a second, we can see just how many things in our lives are connected. I mean, the ancient story of Beowulf, standing next to the futuristic tale of star travelling heroes? Well, I am out of thoughts for now, so, I bid thee farewell. Ace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment