Followers

Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Evolution of My Friends

Have you ever taken a good long look at the people around you? Thought abut the change from when they were children to now? Look at yourself, even, and ponder how much you have changed. I myself have changed so many times in my life. I took up smoking for a time as a kid, then quit when my grandfather died. I was never bad, I just had the kind of stepfather who made me want to rebel. He beat me, degraded me, and made my life a life of fear and sadness. I became friendless, and unhappy. Yet soon, I began finding people who made me happy. They appreciated me and helped me see who I really was in the eyes of real people. I became a sociable person, and developed a network of friends. I was friends with many different kinds of people. Stoners, geeks, shy people, popular people, unpopular people. Any person who was willing to accept someone like me became my friend. I was not popular myself in the typical sense. I became sort of a problem-solver for people. I helped kids with homework, I helped struggling friends patch up friendships. I was helping everyone I could. I have thought on this for a very long time, and have finally reached a conclusion as to why I do this. I help people because I lived a life of unhappiness. I knew how it sucked to have problems. So in my mind, I felt the need to help other people and bring happiness to others to make up for the life I did not have. I do not resent happy people, nor am I a negative person. Which brings me to the reason I titled this post "The Evolution of my Friends." When I felt hated and unwanted, my friends were books and games. I considered my best friends to be the Pokemon I raised, and the heroes from my books. Then, when I began making friends, they were looking for help to problems, and they just kind of accepted me. At first my friends were acquaintences who appreciated my help. Then, as I opened up and showed people who I was, they began really appreciating ME. Now, I am in a new town, and I could not wish for better friends. Most of them have joined my family as an honorary member, and some of them have actually accepted me as true family. I was introduced to my teacher's friend as one of her own children. People have begun seeing that underneath all my goofy facades, there are a few character traits that they really appreciate. They come to me for guidance and help, and they trust me like no other person. It makes me feel like I am truly accepted, and I can say, without feeling less manly, that I have been brought to tears a few times by the kindness of other people. So look back on your life, and your friends, and thank whatever you believe in for everything you have. Because even if things seem bad, there is always something to smile about. I am finally moving on. I still play Pokemon, and there is still an attachement to the Pokemon on my team, but no longer are they my friends. They are just a childhood favorite that I will always appreciate. Now I have gone from having a best friend named Oshawatt... Now I have real best friends, whom I will always appreciate. Thank you, all of my friends who read this. I love you guys. Until next time, Ace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment