Followers

Sunday, February 8, 2015

The Lore of my Land

I am going to educate you, the reader, on my world now. The world invented for me, and billions of others by my idol, Shigeru Miyamoto. The Legend of Zelda is a world full of legend, and myth, and backstory.
To start at the beginning, I would like to explain the basis of almost every game. Instead of a story where it is linear, like Mario and the princess being captured again and again by the same Bowser, Link and Gannondorf play their fights out over the course of time. By that, I mean the two characters are reborn, in a vicious cycle that repeats every 100 years. Link is also know as the hero of time, and he is constantly born into the era that is threatened by Gannondorf. In some games, he is a child, in others, a young man, close to full adulthood. Each reincarnation has different skills, and different companions, all of which influence the flow and style of each new game. For example, he is actually born as a normal child in Windwaker, in a world that is mostly ocean. He earns a boat, who turns out to be an important character in the game, and he sails for most of the game. His friends are pirates and sailors as well. But in a game like Skyward Sword, where the game takes place on a floating island, you have a flying bird at first, who helps you get around, but when you fall below the clouds, you discover uninhabited lands, and carve your own path through indigenous people, aiding them by solving problems.
Link is extremely courageous, because of two very important reasons: he is always born with something to protect. His friends are always near him, and he feels like he should help them, often they are even captured and he has to. The second reason is much more pressing though: he is in possession of the Triforce of Courage. It is a golden seal that has been bestowed upon him by the goddesses of the world in which he lives. it gives him the courage to face impossible odds, and to beat foes others would have given up upon seeing. This is critical knowledge, although a lot of people tend to forget this information.
So, with this bit of backstory, I will get on with my short post today. I am starting a runthrough of the old Nintendo 64 Majora's Mask. It is a dark, mysterious land that Link explores in this land, where the moon has been cursed to crush the world in three days. Link has been tasked to retrieve the mask after which this game is named, and save the world. However, unlike many other games, this game actually poses a time limit, with an ever moving clock at the bottom of your screen the whole time. It is stressful, and full of darker messages than the other games I have played, but not disturbingly so. It is more along the lines of a deep, thought provoking dark, that makes you question the meaning of grief, and the true meaning of loss. I will have posts all week about my playthrough of this game, as well as some speculation as to what Link does in his free time. With that, I kick of my Legend of Zelda appreciation week for my blog! Ace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment